History of the Library





Jackson City Library has had many locations since its opening over 100 years ago(1). At one time, the library was housed at the current location of PNC Bank(2), as well as in the government building that included the the mayor's office and fire department(3). Of all of the locations that the library has been in the downtown Jackson area, one of the most notable moves was to the Memorial Building in 1937(4). It was housed in one small room at this location, which it still owns to this day!

From there, our fifth and final move was to our current address of 21 Broadway Street, after the Jackson City Library Board was able to purchase and renovate the old Shaffer's Supermarket. Phyllis Handley was instrumental in the realization of the dream of a new public library.  She tirelessly spoke to local and state government officials, civic groups, the local media, and the Jackson community to raise funds to purchase the former Shaffer grocery building. Phyllis is pictured below with the architect’s rendering of what the new Jackson City Library would look like.



Source URL: https://jacksoncitylibrary.org/content/history-library